ghosting files with variable names

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Mon Jan 16 11:50:50 UTC 2006

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 17:15:21 -0800, Wart wrote:

> Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 14:30:22 -0800, Wart wrote:
> >

> >>I've got a package that handles the rotation of its own log files
> >>(tclhttpd).  Each rotated log file is appended with the date.  Currently
> >>I 'rm -f' these files in the %postun section of the spec file.  Is it
> >>possible to use %ghost instead, even if I can't know the names of the
> >>files in advance?
> >

> > Just don't. Log files do not belong into a package. They are run-time
> > generated temporary files. Don't delete them in %postun either.
>
> Then how do I ensure that these log files get deleted when the package
> is removed?  Or should I not even bother about leaving them as leftover
> cruft?

Yes, the latter. In particular, since the log files are not marked as
belonging into the package.

(rpm -qf /var/log/*)

Log file dumping space is ideal for automatic cleaning via cron jobs.

You can't clean up everything during package removal. Other packages we've
encountered before even tried to clean up run-time generated stuff below
$HOME.