RFC: Mass rebuild of Fedora Extras before FC5 and how to handle orphaned packges for FC5

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Tue Jan 17 10:37:02 UTC 2006

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:17:52 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> Two questions:
>
> - how was the order ensured when we did the FE4 mass rebuild?

Brute-force, I believe. Roughly like this:

 0) start with a post-FE3 repository
 1) process list of all packages which need a rebuild, one by one
 2) drop all entries from the list, which built successfully
 3) loop to 1, if at least one package built successfully, else end

A big assumption here is that packages fail to build if build
dependencies cause breakage at install-time (= package resolver fails to
install them) or build-time (= configure scripts or availability tests
fail with error condition).