Bunch of newly orphaned packages up for grabs

Jose' Matos jamatos at fc.up.pt
Wed Jan 18 11:04:06 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 17 January 2006 14:16, Quentin Spencer wrote:

> Does grace require fftw 2.x, or can it work with 3.x? The 3.x releases
> of fftw are maintained by me in Extras as fftw3. I wouldn't mind seeing
> the old one go away if nobody needs it and making fftw3 -> fftw. The
> fftw 3.x series has been around for over 2 1/2 years. At what point does
> it make sense to move the old fftw to a name like fftw2? Are there any
> conventions for this sort of thing?

  FWIW and being consistent with other recent changes the best move would have
been for fftw to have become fftw2 as soon as version 3 was declare stable.

  All the development for this library is happening in version 3, where
release 3.1 is entering beta phase.

  So let us request the change, for you it should be enough to Obsolete fftw3,
no?

  Then we need to change accordingly the packages that require fftw to require
fftw2 and those requiring fftw3 to fftw. Since packages should only build
require the -devel version if we synchronize our releases all will still
work.

  Does this sounds like a plan?

--
José Abílio