Bunch of newly orphaned packages up for grabs

Quentin Spencer qspencer at ieee.org
Wed Jan 18 20:42:18 UTC 2006

Jose' Matos wrote:

>On Tuesday 17 January 2006 14:16, Quentin Spencer wrote:
>

>>Does grace require fftw 2.x, or can it work with 3.x? The 3.x releases
>>of fftw are maintained by me in Extras as fftw3. I wouldn't mind seeing
>>the old one go away if nobody needs it and making fftw3 -> fftw. The
>>fftw 3.x series has been around for over 2 1/2 years. At what point does
>>it make sense to move the old fftw to a name like fftw2? Are there any
>>conventions for this sort of thing?
>>

>  FWIW and being consistent with other recent changes the best move would have
>been for fftw to have become fftw2 as soon as version 3 was declare stable.

I agree, but I introduced fftw3 because there was no interest on the
part of the maintainer of fftw of moving to the 3.x releases. FWIW,
Debian has a fftw3 package.

>  All the development for this library is happening in version 3, where
>release 3.1 is entering beta phase.
>
>  So let us request the change, for you it should be enough to Obsolete fftw3,
>no?
>
>  Then we need to change accordingly the packages that require fftw to require
>fftw2 and those requiring fftw3 to fftw. Since packages should only build
>require the -devel version if we synchronize our releases all will still
>work.
>
>Does this sounds like a plan?

This seems reasonble. Currently, fftw3 is only in the FC-4 and devel
branches. This is because the main reason I wanted it in Extras was for
Octave, which was still in core for FC3. I don't see any particular need
to change everything in FC-4, so maybe we just make the changes in devel
so that they will be in place for FC-5?

If we were to make this change, here are the packages that require fftw:
fftw-devel
grace

(It also appears glame on livna would be affected.)

Here are the packages that currently require fftw3:
fftw3-devel
octave
octave-forge
osiv
plplot-octave

I maintain octave and octave-forge, and having looked at the others, it
appears the plplot dependency is implicit, so the only other package
needing an update is osiv.

-Quentin