required and recommended

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 15:06:02 UTC 2006

On 1/25/06, Andreas Bierfert <andreas.bierfert at lowlatency.de> wrote:
> I would love to see this in fc5 :) and of course fc and fe packages using it ^^

Unless the tools that live on top of librpm understand how to make use
and to negotiate the new tags, having them be used in fc or fe
packages isn't going to be particularly useful unless you do all your
package administration via rpm on the cmdline.  In fact it might lead
to unexpected and undesired behavior. I don't think these new tags
should be allowed as part of FC or FE policy until its clear that the
new tags behave as expected when the default in-core tools have to
deal with them. And any understanding as to potentially problems is
going to require some local system testing from people who are
interested in using these tags in their packaging. I wouldn't hold
your breath waiting for these new features to be acceptible packaging
policy. I fully expect there is going to have to be work done to
support these new tags by tools other than rpm cli.  Until we know
where we stand with the tools that intereact with librpm, i say no
dice.

-jef