Wiki-Update (Was: Re: How to update the package?)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Jan 26 16:11:37 UTC 2006

Am Donnerstag, den 26.01.2006, 16:16 +0100 schrieb Nicolas Mailhot:
> Le Jeu 26 janvier 2006 13:50, Thorsten Leemhuis a écrit :
> > Am Donnerstag, den 26.01.2006, 13:25 +0100 schrieb Nicolas Mailhot:
> >> Le Jeu 26 janvier 2006 12:35, Thorsten Leemhuis a écrit :
> >
> >> My stupid way of doing things is to just create a separate srpm for all
> >> branches (%{dist} is my friend), cvs-import them (whith the import
> >> script
> >> magically noticing already-uploaded sources and tagging everything as
> >> needed) then make plague.
> >
> > There is one reason why I'm currently considering to forbid the use of
> > cvs-import for already imported packages: Most people won't run a diff
> > against the old package/the old spec this way before committing (or does
> > the script force a diff before committing? I never used it for anything
> > else than importing).
>
> Actually my full workflow is cvs update package_I_need_to_change, modify
> spec in devel, rpm -ba --define "dist .fc5" on result, import, sometimes
> diff files with other branches
>
> The big downside of doing check-ins manually is you're not pushing what
> you've tested, and it's real easy to "forget" a file and get wrong
> results.
>
> With import of srpm generated in -ba you ensure not bit is forgotten.

Well, new files don't happen that often and in my opinion it's more
important that people run a "cvs diff" before committing stuff.

> (printing a diff of the result would be helpful so you can do a final
> check before make plague)

Before commit would be better. Anybody here that is willing to implement
this?

> > I run a "cvs diff -u" every time before I commit something and now and
> > then (every fifth package round about) I find debug leftovers or small
> > errors this way *before* committing them. Maybe I'm just to stupid and
> > other people never make such errors -- but I suspect they do.
>
> I'm stupid the other way - when doing fine-grained commits I always forget
> stuff

That happens, sure. But I prefer that people look at the stuff they
commit -- if they don't do it and if nobody else watches the commit
closely a lot of small errors slip in. If a file is forgotten plague
will notice soon and complain ;-)

Anyway, Nicolas feel free to use the import stuff. But I would prefer if
new users and especially inexperienced packagers would use a scheme were
they see and check what they have changed.