Packaging/Review Guidelines change

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri Jan 6 11:02:18 UTC 2006

bugs.michael at gmx.net (Michael Schwendt) writes:

>> The only exception case is where two packages use the same directory
>> structure (outside of the FHS), but neither relies on the other one
>> (aka, either one could be installed first, or without the other). Then,
>> and only then, its acceptable for both packages to own the directory,
>> as they both have the potential to be "first". This is a corner case,
>> though.
>
> The order, in which the two are installed, is irrelevant.

I am not sure whether your statement is related to the cited paragraph. But
generally, the order of package installation IS relevant regarding directory
ownership.

E.g. let's have two packages A and B with

| /etc/init.d/foo   (file)

| /etc/init.d/ -> rc.d/init.d   (symlink)
| /etc/rc.d/init.d/             (directory)

Then, you have to make sure that 'B' is installed, before 'A' places its
files. Else, you will end with two distinct initrd directories.

Enrico