RFC: kernel-modules in Fedora Extras

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Fri Jan 6 16:12:42 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 11:30 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> After looking at several kernel module proposals in the wiki and long
> discussions on mailing lists and during IRC meetings the Fedora Extras
> Steering Committee (also known as FESCo) agreed on a standard for
> packaging kernel modules in Fedora Extras. Find the details below for
> a last discussion on this mailing list before this proposal is being
> used.

We can special-case kernel modules in the Extras buildsystem if we need
to, and we can likely take some of the pain away by auto-building the
modules when a new kernel comes out somehow.  We'd then mail the
submitter if the auto-build failed.  It's not hard, just ugly.

Where it gets more interesting is if you want to build an updated SRPM
for a kernel that's not the most recent.

We can also try to special-case the up/smp/hugemem thing if it's a pain
to do %foreach in the specfile.  We probably want to keep specfiles
cleaner and move some of the complexity into the build system to keep
the barrier-to-entry lower for packages themselves.

Dan