RFC: kernel-modules in Fedora Extras

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Jan 7 14:13:21 UTC 2006

Am Samstag, den 07.01.2006, 14:49 +0100 schrieb Ralf Corsepius:
> On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 14:20 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > Am Samstag, den 07.01.2006, 07:25 +0100 schrieb Ralf Corsepius:
>[...]
> > I disagree -- we IMHO should build for the latest kernel and the one
> > that was shipped in core.
>
> ... and at least the (latest-1)  kernel, because this is the kernel
> people which regularly (but not daily basis) update are using.

Maybe.

> >  Why? There are people with modems or
> > bandwidth-per-month limitations that don't update the kernel. Yes,
> > that's dangerous, but people do it.
>
> Another aspect you seem to ignore: It's not uncommon that kernels are
> broken on a particular HW - Therefore users, can't avoid resorting to
> using older kernel.

They can rebuild the SRPM. And the problem you describe only happens
when a kernel is updated, it is broken on a particular HW, you need a
kernel-module, the userland-package that depends on a kernel-module was
updated at the same time *and* you/the download servers don't have the
old userland package around anymore. Not a situation that happens every
day afaics.

>[...]
> > And
> > old kernels are deleted for the updates-repo anyway
> Then building for all those in updates + core would be a reasonable
> compromise.

What do others think about this compromise?