RFC: kernel-modules in Fedora Extras

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat Jan 7 21:05:00 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 12:03 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 13:43 +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> > > What if you want to build for, for example, up, smp and hugemem kernels?
> > > Do you have to build the same RPM twice?
> >
> > Actually, if you want to build _exactly_ for those three, you'd need to
> > rebuild it three times (once for each like --define 'variant foo'), or
> > modify the specfile, removing xen-* and adding hugemem.
>
> I thought I could do one pass to build for both up and smp, then another
> to build the hugemem variant?

Note _exactly_.  The first pass will in addition to up and smp build
xen-* too, so if you want to avoid that, you'll need three iterations.

> Oh, you can do looping constructs in specfiles. It's just not _pretty_.
> I did it once, addressing precisely this problem. I can't remember how,
> but I think I'm happier that way.

:).  Anyway, if you find it, please post pointers.  (I can imagine it
being possible by doing it inside %(...) via the shell, but it _sure_
won't be anywhere near pretty for anything else but trivial things.)

> What chance of extending rpm with a '%foreach'?

A few years ago when I did some searching, the answer to that (IIRC) was
"none".  No idea if things have changed since.

> Another thing which would be nice to have is a buildsystem-trigger which
> automatically rebuilds the kmod package(s) when a new kernel becomes
> available.

I believe something like that has been planned.