RFC: kernel-modules in Fedora Extras

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat Jan 7 21:31:03 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 16:00 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> And with the next release of Core the userland-package probably needs to
> be dropped cause all parts (udev rules for example) often are a part of
> core then. The question is: what obsoletes the package so it gets
> removed? fedora-release?

Shouldn't kmod packages should have a dependency on the userland one and
it thus be pruned the usual way when old kernels get removed eg. through
yum's "installonlyn" plugin?  BTW, https://bugzilla.redhat.com/176257

And in case of conflicts, I think anaconda will always resolve them in
favour of the new distro version.  (But then again, this may be BS as I
don't even remember when was the last time I've tried a distro upgrade
without starting from scratch myself...)

Yeah, the above don't completely eliminate the possibility of a leftover
userland package hanging around and possibly causing unexpected
behaviour, but I think they reduce it to a level that would be
acceptable (assuming kmod packages are to the extent feasible packaged
"defensively" against problems like this).