RFC: kernel-modules in Fedora Extras

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat Jan 7 21:48:53 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 15:13 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 07.01.2006, 14:49 +0100 schrieb Ralf Corsepius:

> > Then building for all those in updates + core would be a reasonable
> > compromise.
>
> What do others think about this compromise?

Mixed feelings.  On the other hand it's ok, but on the other:

Let's say FC5 is released, and I have a foo module package in Extras.
Time passes, FC5 kernel updates are rolled out, and foo has a new
upstream version to which I need to upgrade so that it'll work with the
latest FC5 updates.  But it breaks with the original FC5 baseline
kernel.  I can easily find more productive use for my time than to try
to hack the new package to work with the old kernel (which nobody should
really be using anymore anyway) within one distro branch.

Also, I think the binaries built for the old baseline kernel would
receive _very_ little if any testing by anyone, and I thoroughly dislike
the "if it builds, it should work, right?" way when talking about
shipping packages to a "production" repository.