RFC: kernel-modules in Fedora Extras

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Jan 8 12:22:48 UTC 2006

Am Sonntag, den 08.01.2006, 03:43 +0100 schrieb Ralf Corsepius:
> On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 23:48 +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > > What do others think about this compromise?
> > Mixed feelings.
> You have no choice.
> The current behavior [...]

We're not taking about the current behavior here. There is not even a
current behavior for Fedora Extras. If you have problems with the old
fedora.us standard that is still used by livna discuss it on the livna
mailinglist or in a separate thread to avoid confusion.

> >   On the other hand it's ok, but on the other:
> > Let's say FC5 is released, and I have a foo module package in Extras.
> > Time passes, FC5 kernel updates are rolled out, and foo has a new
> > upstream version to which I need to upgrade so that it'll work with the
> > latest FC5 updates.  But it breaks with the original FC5 baseline
> > kernel.  I can easily find more productive use for my time than to try
> > to hack the new package to work with the old kernel (which nobody should
> > really be using anymore anyway) within one distro branch.
> >
> > Also, I think the binaries built for the old baseline kernel would
> > receive _very_ little if any testing by anyone, and I thoroughly dislike
> > the "if it builds, it should work, right?" way when talking about
> > shipping packages to a "production" repository.

> Agreed, but ... end user must be provided with a kernel-module matching
> their currently running kernel, otherwise "yum update" will always fail.

No, "yum update" with the new standard won't fail afaics. But maybe I'm
overlooked something -- please show me the details where yum will fail
and I'm happy to admit that I was wrong. Otherwise: Please stop
spreading FUD, thanks.