RFC: kernel-modules in Fedora Extras

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Fri Jan 13 06:59:43 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 18:48 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> How about the attached stuff? Find a SRPM for experiments at
> http://www.leemhuis.info/files/fedorarpms/SRPMS.fdr/lirc-kmod-0.8.0-0.7.pre3.2.6.14_1.1776_FC4.src.rpm

I think the part of this experiment that handles variants is definitely
an improvement, assuming that the build system will be capable of
passing the correct variants to the builds.  Can we assume that?

The other part that shuffles stuff around %prep/%build/%install can
result in specfile simplifications, but the burden is that it requires a
robustly working "make clean".  Not that it would be necessarily that
big a deal, but I think it's a pretty unusual requirement for packaged
software and shouldn't be included in template/example specfiles.  I'm
confident that similar simplifications/cleanups can be accomplished
without adding that burden.  I'll look into it.