RFC: kernel-modules in Fedora Extras

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Jan 13 15:27:47 UTC 2006

Am Freitag, den 13.01.2006, 08:59 +0200 schrieb Ville Skyttä:
> On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 18:48 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
> > How about the attached stuff? Find a SRPM for experiments at
> > http://www.leemhuis.info/files/fedorarpms/SRPMS.fdr/lirc-kmod-0.8.0-0.7.pre3.2.6.14_1.1776_FC4.src.rpm

I'm still wondering why the feedback was so rare on this experiment with
fedora-kmodhelper. Was it to scary? I know it looks a bit unusual in the
first moment, but I think this solution (with a bit polishing) is the
best we found so far.

Panu, dwmw2, Jeremey, skvidal, mschwendt, Anvil, warren, everybody else
interested: What do you think about it?

> I think the part of this experiment that handles variants is definitely
> an improvement, assuming that the build system will be capable of
> passing the correct variants to the builds.  Can we assume that?

I did not talk to dcbw about that yet but will do that soon. Anyway, we
still can hardcode the kvariants if it does not work in the beginning.

> The other part that shuffles stuff around %prep/%build/%install can
> result in specfile simplifications,

Agreed. And there is an additional benefit: the debug-packages are a lot
smaller if you build more then one

> but the burden is that it requires a
> robustly working "make clean".  Not that it would be necessarily that
> big a deal, but I think it's a pretty unusual requirement for packaged
> software and shouldn't be included in template/example specfiles.  I'm
> confident that similar simplifications/cleanups can be accomplished
> without adding that burden.  I'll look into it.

Great, thx. I'll wait for the results. This part anyway is independent
of the fedora-kmodhelper thing.

/me thinks about the whole situation for a moment

If no one complains loudly soon about this fedora-kmodhelper idea in
above srpm then I think I'll work on modifying the last
extras-kmod-proposal to a solution with the fedora-kmodhelper scheme.