Subpackages with different architectures

Roozbeh Pournader roozbeh at farsiweb.info
Sat Jan 14 17:56:09 UTC 2006

>From what I have learned searching the web, it seems that using a single
spec file to build one noarch subpackage and another arch-specific one
in a single is impossible. Is that right, or I was misled? Assuming I
was right in deducing so, I have questions regarding the packaging of
MediaWiki.

The package is mostly straight-forward PHP, but also includes a certain
feature for handling mathematical formulas (that is turned off in the
default configuration). That feature is implemented as a binary, and has
dependencies on LaTeX, dvips, and ImageMagick, which have large
dependencies themselves.

I tried packaging the formula support as a subpackage, but I can't
make the main package noarch and the -math subpackage arch-dependent. I
have three choices:

1) Get along with an arch-independent RPM package marked as
arch-dependent.

2) Forget subpackages and make them one RPM with unified dependencies.

3) Make these two different SPEC files. (This would create a burden on
me for maintaining the two in sync, so I guess I should only do this if
the other two options are unacceptable.)

What do you think I should do? Or am I missing a fourth and better path?

roozbeh