Re: RFC: kernel-modules in Fedora Extras

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 13:58 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 14.01.2006, 09:16 +0000 schrieb David Woodhouse:
> > I'd like to get rid of 'knownvariants' in the helper script,
>
> Why? We did something like this in the spec file itself before.

I'd like to get rid of that from both the specfile _and_ the script.
But if we want to support "--define"less rebuilds for arbitrary custom
(but compatible) currently running kernels, AFAICS that would require us
to be able to extract the variant off a random "uname -r" string, which
I don't think is possible.

> This solution IMHO is cleaner.

Agreed, it's an improvement, but:

> it's important for people that plan to rebuild the srpm at home for
> their current kernel without giving any of the "--define foo bar"
> parameters.

That works only if their kernel variant is one of the known variants :(