a better webinterface to our packages (Was: Re: New Fedora Extras Steering Committee chair)

Konstantin Ryabitsev icon at fedoraproject.org
Sun Jan 15 16:14:33 UTC 2006

À 15/01/06 10:56 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis a écrit:
>>> I looked into repoview and while it is ok I would love to have something better
>>> in place by the time fc5 gets around the corner. I really thing that this is
>>> something people will like.
>> Last time I spoke to the repoview developer, he was open to all
>> sorts of ideas, so you may find it easier to work with him, instead
>> of re-implementing his ideas all over again. :)
>
> I'm sure you, andreas and everyone else interested will find a nice
> solution.

Well, it kinda amuses me, since web interface to packages is a
problem with a well-known set of constraints – both real and
perceived. The greatest limitation is the attempt to make it not
require anything on the server-side, in order for the mirrors to not
have to provide special scripting-enabled directories and still have
all the same data as in the main repository. While this is a
worthwhile goal, this prevents me from implementing any sort of
searching and other features. If pages were rendered dynamically,
then we could just use yum's own sqlite databases to query and
render pages on the fly, with lots of niceties, but I am reluctant
to do it, since I like the simplicity of pre-rendered pages (a lot
fewer bugs, a lot more secure).

I understand that repoview also adds a significant overhead to the
generation of large repositories (though I must note that on my
P-Mobile 1.4GHz the entire process of parsing and then generating
all pages for 3000 packages takes 80 seconds, which is pretty good
in my book).

What I think I can do immediately is implement a feature where the
program finds ALL subdirectories with repodata in them and then
generates one set of pages for all the architectures it finds. This
way instead of having to run it 4 times for SRPMS, i386, ppc, and
x86_64, you can run them in the /extras/4 directory and have one
tree listing all architectures available. Would that be useful?

Regards,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
McGill University WSG