a better webinterface to our packages (Was: Re: New Fedora Extras Steering Committee chair)

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Sun Jan 15 18:39:57 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 11:14 -0500, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> >> Last time I spoke to the repoview developer, he was open to all
> >> sorts of ideas, so you may find it easier to work with him, instead
> >> of re-implementing his ideas all over again. :)
> >
> > I'm sure you, andreas and everyone else interested will find a nice
> > solution.
>
> Well, it kinda amuses me, since web interface to packages is a
> problem with a well-known set of constraints – both real and
> perceived. The greatest limitation is the attempt to make it not
> require anything on the server-side, in order for the mirrors to not
> have to provide special scripting-enabled directories and still have
> all the same data as in the main repository. While this is a
> worthwhile goal, this prevents me from implementing any sort of
> searching and other features. If pages were rendered dynamically,
> then we could just use yum's own sqlite databases to query and
> render pages on the fly, with lots of niceties, but I am reluctant
> to do it, since I like the simplicity of pre-rendered pages (a lot
> fewer bugs, a lot more secure).
>
> I understand that repoview also adds a significant overhead to the
> generation of large repositories (though I must note that on my
> P-Mobile 1.4GHz the entire process of parsing and then generating
> all pages for 3000 packages takes 80 seconds, which is pretty good
> in my book).
>
> What I think I can do immediately is implement a feature where the
> program finds ALL subdirectories with repodata in them and then
> generates one set of pages for all the architectures it finds. This
> way instead of having to run it 4 times for SRPMS, i386, ppc, and
> x86_64, you can run them in the /extras/4 directory and have one
> tree listing all architectures available. Would that be useful?

Here's what I think..

I think repoview on the mirrors is great it lets anyone have a copy of
it, etc. However, we could have a static link in the mirrored data that
points to a searchable interface that lives on fedoraproject.org.

Thoughts?

Then again, I wonder how much of this is obviated by the presence of
good searching interfaces in the tools we have in the distro, now?

-sv