a better webinterface to our packages (Was: Re: New Fedora Extras Steering Committee chair)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Jan 15 19:25:16 UTC 2006

Am Sonntag, den 15.01.2006, 13:39 -0500 schrieb seth vidal:
> On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 11:14 -0500, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> > À 15/01/06 10:56 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis a écrit:
[...]
> > What I think I can do immediately is implement a feature where the
> > program finds ALL subdirectories with repodata in them and then
> > generates one set of pages for all the architectures it finds. This
> > way instead of having to run it 4 times for SRPMS, i386, ppc, and
> > x86_64, you can run them in the /extras/4 directory and have one
> > tree listing all architectures available. Would that be useful?
>
> Here's what I think..
>
> I think repoview on the mirrors is great it lets anyone have a copy of
> it, etc.

Agreed. But adding an additional directory (e.g. /extras/4/repodata
and /extras/4/repodata/repoview ) that have repoview pages with links to
SRPMs, i386, x86_64 and ppc won't hurt. Complete mirrors can mirror it.
The other should ignore it, because some links won't work in that case.

> However, we could have a static link in the mirrored data that
> points to a searchable interface that lives on fedoraproject.org.

Agreed.

> Then again, I wonder how much of this is obviated by the presence of
> good searching interfaces in the tools we have in the distro, now?

I round about once a week use the debian web interface to search for
something. Now and then I use the one from gentoo, too. I suspect that
users of Debian, Gentoo or Suse now and then want to search for Fedora
Packages, too. We should make it possible.