RFC: Mass rebuild of Fedora Extras before FC5 and how to handle orphaned packges for FC5

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Jan 16 06:08:32 UTC 2006

Am Montag, den 16.01.2006, 00:55 +0100 schrieb Michael Schwendt:
> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 19:59:20 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
> > We probably will have to do a rebuild of all (most?) packages in Fedora
> > Extras before FC5 is released. Why? Some reasons:
> >
> > - Fedora Core 5 will ship with a new major version of gcc (4.1 in FC5
> > versus FC4 with 4.0).
> > - The new gcc has some enhanced security features that of course only
> > work if applications are compiled with it
> > - The new gcc and the modular X.org might break the compile of some
> > packages. Most things probably can be fixed easily if we do it now. If
> > we wait longer it might happen that other changes occur that break the
> > build in other fancy ways. That would complicate fixing a lot.
> > - rebuilding packages might expose some bugs in gcc or modular X.org
> > that can then maybe can be fixed before the release of FC5
>
> One by one, please. We need coordination with Core, so we really know when
> GCC is considered "ready enough", so we could start doing rebuilds.

Sure. Sorry, I forgot to say it explicit. I thought...

Am Sonntag, den 15.01.2006, 19:59 +0100 schrieb Thorsten Leemhuis:

> [...]
> 19:29 <      jeremy> | thl: I still think we should wait until closer to test3 to even consider it
> 19:29 <      warren> | Jakub mentioned further fixes to gcc/glibc needed before we do it
> [...]
> The real mass rebuild should happen around test3. But that leaves not
> much time to bring things in shape befor FC5 is released (only round
> about 4 weeks). That's not enough IMHO.
> [...]

...would be enough.

But that's IMHO not a reason not to ask packagers that didn't build
there packages for a long time to do it now. (And I suspect that nearly
nobody will do it anyway).

More replies in this thread later -- have to do my job now ;-)

CU
thl