RFC: Mass rebuild of Fedora Extras before FC5 and how to handle orphaned packges for FC5

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Jan 16 17:17:52 UTC 2006

Am Montag, den 16.01.2006, 18:00 +0100 schrieb Ralf Corsepius:
> On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 17:37 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
> > Another idea: Tell everybody to rebuild. Wait a week. Fill bugs for all
> > packages that dind't get rebuild.
>
> This only works if packages build-deps are independent of each other. In
> reality, a package depends on a tree of packages.
>
> Therefore you have to sequentially rebuilt from the root of the tree of
> package deps and can't "Tell everybody to rebuild" (== rebuild
> everything at once).

Two questions:

- how was the order ensured when we did the FE4 mass rebuild?
- how was it handled in fedora core when the mass rebuild for gcc 4.1
happend?

*If* the answer is "it was ignored" I'm inclined to do exactly that for
FE5, too, *if* no one steps up and presents a proper solution.

AFAICS this could be:

- create the bugs with the correct deps in the build order (remember: we
have over 1300 packages iirc, doing this manually won't work)
- we have a script that builds everything in the correct order
- we drop the complete extras tree and start a new one in parallel
- <your solution here>

CU
thl