RFC: Mass rebuild of Fedora Extras before FC5 and how to handle orphaned packges for FC5

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Mon Jan 16 18:19:28 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 18:17 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> Two questions:
>
> - how was the order ensured when we did the FE4 mass rebuild?
> - how was it handled in fedora core when the mass rebuild for gcc 4.1
> happend?
>
> *If* the answer is "it was ignored" I'm inclined to do exactly that for
> FE5, too, *if* no one steps up and presents a proper solution.
>
> AFAICS this could be:
>
> - create the bugs with the correct deps in the build order (remember: we
> have over 1300 packages iirc, doing this manually won't work)
> - we have a script that builds everything in the correct order

I've no idea how the FE4 mass rebuild was handled but mach does
topological sort on the lot for you if you just dump all src.rpm's into
it in one go.

So, you could either use mach for calculating the order or lift off the
relevant code from there for use with yum repodata. No, I'm not offering
to do that, don't have time ATM, sorry :)

	- Panu -