Packaging freedos, its GPL but no tools to compile?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 19:22:44 UTC 2006

On 1/17/06, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:
> What you're saying now is, as long as it is not a native linux binary,
> license / freedom doesn't matter anymore as long as its distributable.

If its not linux native and If you can get it to compile under fedora
using the cross-compiling tools which are available great... if you
can't.. then its a case by case basis.

My question to you is, how do you plan to maintain freedos?   Since
you can't use the normal fedora buildsystem to incorporate patches..
whats you plan as the maintainer if functionality problems arise?

If freedos is viewed as dosemu content, then I could certainly make
the argument that its like game levels for a game and is permissible
content.  But I would not be particularly thrilled to see that
definition of permissible content extented to allow a collection dos
executable software sitting in the fedora tree that works on top of
the freedos kernel. I think we have to be reasonable and limit what
fedora provides to what is required to get a minimal dos environment
and let users pull additional dos executables from sources other than
Fedora.

-jef