Mono apps in extras

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Jan 24 12:03:44 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 12:30 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 24.01.2006, 12:03 +0100 schrieb Ralf Corsepius:
> > On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 11:43 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > > Hi!

> > > I only set a deadline for yesterday to allow people to hand in a
> > > "fedora-extras should forbid mono packages in extras" proposal. Nothing
> > > showed up so there is nothing to discuss for FESCo afaics (the FESCo
> > > members were all quiet, too).
> > >
> > > So it seems the old rule applies: If it's allowed in Core it's also fine
> > > for Extras.
> > Grumble, once more:
> >
> > According to RH until recently, mono/C#/.net are subject to potential
> > patent claims.
>
> Yes, until recently.
>
> > Some weeks ago, RH pushed Mono etc. in FC - I repeatedly had asked to
> > explain (Last time on a PM to YOU in person, yesterday), to elaborate
> > what made RH to consider their former claim to be invalid.
> >
> > No response, so far.
>
> "Business considerations that prevented certain Mono components from
> being included in Fedora previously have now been resolved."
This doesn't answer my question. RH business considerations are
irrelevant here. We are having a legal problem here, which we needs to
be clarified to protect ourselves and FE's users.

> I (as most other people outside of the Fedora Foundation or Red Hat)
> don't know more details.
Great, ... master piece of communication with RH ... ;)

How about you asking your predecessor GDK, on behalf of FESCO?

http://fedora.redhat.com/About/contact.html lists him as the FF's "legal
inquiries" contact person.

> > I am willing to reconsider this opinion, should some RH or FESCO
> > spokesperson be able to elaborate the legal situation of Mono etc.
>
> I can't give more details because I don't know more. But I'm willing to
> trust Red Hat here
Well, RH and your fellow RH-employed FESCO members had been very
verbosely rejecting any Mono-related request, because they claimed
severe legal concerns.

Now, this out of a sudden all their vocalize has become invalid without
explanation? I hope you don't mind, if I cann't find such a rotating
course to give much reason for trust.

>  -- they allowed it for Core and I see no reason why
> we should forbid it in Extras. That would look quite odd anyway...

There is a substantial difference: None of us has control over Core, but
anybody being actively involved into FE, packaging packages for FE or
using such packages could potentially be subject to legal action.

Ralf