Mono apps in extras

Linus Walleij triad at df.lth.se
Tue Jan 24 18:50:26 UTC 2006

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>> doesn't mean you might do something in the States that is not so good with
>> them, but then they have to get you first ... better cancel all trips to
>> US from the moment I commit some patent infringement.

> That's what scares me - Also, can you exclude that a US based entity
> won't try to legally threaten you ("Pay USD1000 or we will sue you in
> front of a US court)?

Threaten yes. Execute legal actions, no. They can sue you in a US court
of law of course, but that is highly unlikely since the outcome is so
uncertain. The EU certainly won't expel you for doing something in the US
that is not a crime in the EU. Hence, the trial would only mean economic
loss, and hence, they won't sue. They will however sue Fedora foundation
instead.

However they could most certainly confiscate any property you might hold
in the US if it was big enough to care about, such as shares in Red Hat
(not unlikely for a FE contributor, though I don't have any).

I guess I could live with not being able to travel to the US for such an
awkward reason, it would be so bizarre...

But this is all a matter of practicalities, not about right and wrong and
how the agreements should be written, so we need to get it sorted out for
sure.

Linus