New tracker bugs for the use of ExcludeArchs in packages

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Jan 29 12:29:34 UTC 2006

Am Sonntag, den 29.01.2006, 13:32 +0100 schrieb Hans de Goede:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > Sorry for crossposting -- replies please only to fedora-extras-list.
> > tia!
> >
> > Just FYI, I created several new tracker bugs:
> >
> > 179258 - FE-ExcludeArch-x86
> > 179259 - FE-ExcludeArch-x64
> > 179260 - FE-ExcludeArch-PPC
> >
> > How should they get used? Simple: If you have a packages that uses
> > ExcludeArch or ExclusiveArch to exclude some architectures from the
> > build you need to file a separate bug for them [*1]. This bug should be
> > marked as blocking the corresponding tracker bug(s) listed above -- this
> > simplifies tracking such issues for other people interested in these
> > archs that might want to take a look into the problem and fix it.
> >

> What if the ExclusiveArch is not a bug but a feature, for example say a
> userspace support tools for certain hardware only found on certain
> archs? Then there is no problem to fix, should one then still file bugs?

In the past I would have said "no" but a lot of other packagers
disagreed and convinced me -- so the answer is a "yes" from me now.

Other people simply might not know that the package is "for certain
hardware only found on certain archs". So it should be written down
somewhere. A bug is the right place for it. And in such cases you simply
can close the bug after reporting (as I wrote in the first mail).

Cu
thl