adding optipng to extras

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 15:04:29 UTC 2006

On 02/07/06, Till Maas <opensource at till.name> wrote:
> I would like to package OptiPNG for Extras (http://optipng.sourceforge.net/).
> It is a PNG-optimizer and converter that tries to compress pngs the best way
> possible. It uses own version of zlib to get a better compression and pnglib
> to even work. Can it be added to Extras anyways?

The license, which is apparently the zlib/libpng license (from the
project webpage) reads:

Copyright (C) 2001-2006 Cosmin Truta.

This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied
warranty.  In no event will the author(s) be held liable for any damages
arising from the use of this software.

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose,
including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it
freely, subject to the following restrictions:

1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not
   claim that you wrote the original software.  If you use this software
   in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be
   appreciated but is not required.

2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not
   be misrepresented as being the original software.

3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any source distribution.

As such, I believe that is fine wrt FE inclusion. The program as far
as I can tell doesn't use any patented compression schemes. I'm sure
other members of the list will verify/dispute these observations :)

Have you read the instructions for contributing to FE? They can be found here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Contributors

Best wishes,
Jonathan