Fwd: [Fedora-infrastructure-list] New package version control

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Mon Jul 3 06:10:03 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 22:33 -0700, Chris Petersen wrote:
> >> A few of us, warren, mmcgrath, and I are designing a new system of
> >> version control for the packages in Core and Extras.  The main page of
> >> requirements and some pros and cons of various VCS's are listed on:
> >> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/VersionControl/
> >>
> >> If you have some dispassionate features or reviews to add about any VCS
> >> you think could address the requirements, go ahead and add it to the
> >> page.
>
> Wasn't quite sure how to put this on the page, so I'm posting here.
>
> "con" for subversion is listed that auth must be through DAV, but a
> "pro" for mercurial is that it can do ssh.  Just an fyi, but subversion
> works GREAT over ssh (via the svn+ssh:// uri), and projects like mythtv
> use this to separate anon checkout (http) with developer access (ssh).
>
> Granted, you're still limited to "full repository" access or no access
> with ssh since svn handles everything in its own database format.

Yeah, that's pretty much a blocker for using svn+ssh.  One of the
requirements is that each individual developer may or may not have
access to a branch of the repository.  This could be emulated with a
slew of repositories but I don't think subversion is really meant to
handle that sort of setup the way a distributed version control system
is.

I don't know how mercurial handles this differently, though.

-Toshio