questions about comps files

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Jul 31 15:59:16 UTC 2006

Patrice Dumas (pertusus at free.fr) said:
> Since it seems that that discussion should happen here, let's do it.
> I have the following questions about the comps files:
>
> * the 'Authoring and Publishing' seems to be only for docbook from the
>   description. So where things like latex based packages, script converter
>   for other formats and so on (in my case, there is BibTool, tetex-tex4ht
>   and ooo2txt). And should script converters be in comps at all?

Generally, it dependns on what they're used for. I could see TeX based
stuff in Authoring & Publishing, although there's an overlap with
office suites there, depending on how you're using TeX.

> * where should wxWidgets based applications go (I maintain xchm).

wxWidgets (should be) irrelevant - it's what the app does, not what
it's built against.

> * does it makes sense to have some packages in more than one group? For
>   example I put grads is in 'Graphics', I think it also could be in
>   'Engineering and Scientific'.

Probably best to keep them in single groups - Graphics is more for
drawing things & photos (gimp, inkspace, etc.)

> * where should things like esmtp (a relay-only Mail Transfer Agent) go?
>   There doesn't seems to be a category for that program, although it may
>   be interesting for some (advanced) end-users?

Mail servers?

Bill