extras mirrorlist with out-of-date mirrors

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jul 1 11:22:46 UTC 2006

Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 06:10:20PM -0700, Ian Burrell wrote:
>> How is the Fedora Extras mirrorlist determined?  Is it maintained?  I
>> just noticed that my extras packages weren't being updated with
>> packages I knew had been deployed.  The reason is that it was using a
>> mirror which is out-of-date.  And not a few minutes out-of-date but
>> having a repomd.xml from May 27.
>>
>> http://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/fedora/linux/extras/5/ have
>> repomd.xml's for both i386 and x86_64 that is from May 27.
>>
>> ftp://mirror.newnanutilities.org/pub/fedora/linux/extras/5/ have
>> repomd.xml's from Mar 21.
>
> It would be nice to have mirrors being checked automatically by some
> script and whine when the mirror is out of sync for some given
> time. It is probably enough to test the size/timestamp of the
> metadata.
Tony Nelson has made some efforts in this direction:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-list/2006-May/msg04193.html
He has published repoinsync under the gpl on
http://www.georgeanelson.com/reposinsync.htm

It would be good if such a service was hosted at fedora.redhat.com,
perhaps with a master list of mirrors/paths to check. Mirrors with
up2date repodata (filelist.xml) would then be actively published in a
dynamic mirrorlist:
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-extras-$releasever,
ensuring that only mirrors with up2date filelist would be accessed.

This would probably best done a few times a day. Or is such a thing
already in development ?

DaveT.