Mass rebuild of Extras packages for FC6? (was: Re: Mass rebuild of core packages coming soon)

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Sat Jul 1 18:38:33 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 11:55:34AM +0100, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> On 01/07/06, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> >> 1) rpm signing w/ sha256sum
> >> 2) New toolset feature to speed up dynamic lib linking by 50%~
> >3) get all packages build with the new and reduced set of packages
> >installed in the default mock buildroot
>
> These all seem like good reasons for a rebuild to me.
>
> >4) make sure all packagers/contributors are still around just a we did
> >during the mass-rebuild for FC5
>
> This seems like a commendable desire, but I'm not sure that clobbering
> the build system to achieve this goal alone is the best way to go
> about it.

The build system can handle it.  A top-to-bottom rebuild of Extras
takes ~24 hours on 3 x86_64 servers (I do it regularly).  PPC would
probably be the holdup, maybe dragging that out to 2 days...

Let computers do what they're designed to do, and leave the more
interesting work to humans. :-)

Thanks,
Matt

--