New package version control

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Jul 4 12:34:56 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 10:54:38PM +0100, Tim Jackson wrote:
> Chris Petersen wrote:
>
> >"con" for subversion is listed that auth must be through DAV, but a
> >"pro" for mercurial is that it can do ssh.  Just an fyi, but subversion
> >works GREAT over ssh (via the svn+ssh:// uri), and projects like mythtv
> >use this to separate anon checkout (http) with developer access (ssh).
> >
> >Granted, you're still limited to "full repository" access or no access
> >with ssh since svn handles everything in its own database format.
>
> Are we talking at cross-purposes or is the Subversion commit hook that
> can be used for path-based access control for svn+ssh being overlooked here?

That hook can only work in non-ssh setups. In this case we can use the
power of apache's auth/acls.

When you have ssh access it's full write access to everything unless
you place yet another suid app involving svnserve on the server to
control access control. I think in that case http(s) access has more
benefits.

The above is true for both svn and hg AFAIS.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net