next FESCo meeting agenda.

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Wed Jul 5 08:49:01 UTC 2006

Hi,

> I also think that "a maintainer isn't answering their bugs, not answering
> rebuild requests, emails or the like" opens a bit too much for interpretation.

It also has a problem. I've been out of things for about 10 days, which
means that I have an anjuta bug which is over 2 weeks old. I'm also
waiting on an upstream response for a bug problem, so it's slow going.
The bug is still being worked on, but hasn't been fixed.

You also have the problem of folks being on holiday. It's not unusual in
the UK for people to vanish for 2 - 3 weeks.

Some bugs are also much bigger than first thought. z88dk on 64 bit being
one such example. It is still being worked on, but the problem is that
the code generated isn't happy fully, so it's not in a state that I
would want to see released.

> In my opinion it should be only serious issues that allows AWOL procedure.
> Like security bug, big usability bug, broken dependency, or a need to rebuild
> against newer library version. I don't think it would be right to allow
> people to bug maintainers for minor/wrong issues and then start the AWOL
> procedure.

The AWOL problem is not a trivial one. A while back, I posted something
similar to Mike's proposal to the f-extras list - the main problem
identified was that it is hard to fix time limits on things (though the
thread may have been on orphaned packages).

As I say, other than the third para (the one about not current
contributors), I think Mike's suggestions are good ones.

TTFN

Paul
--
"99 Jahre Krieg ließen Keinen Platz für Sieger - Kriegesminister gibt's
nicht mehr - und auch keine Düsenflieger - heute ziehe ich meine Runden