FESCo Election Results

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Wed Jul 5 18:14:24 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 13:12 -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>  I was 'elected' in some sense or another however as I promised I am
> willing to step down if someone else among those nominated but not
> elected wish to take my place. As Christian received the most votes
> below the line I'm offering to step down and for him to take my place.
>
> Everyone cool w/that?

Yes and no.  We really should have discussed this case a bit more before
the elections but it slipped my mind and apparently everyone else's as
well.

You can't have an election if there's no one to vote for.  You can't
have a good election if there's no one to vote against.  Without having
sufficiently more candidates on the ballot than open seats to fill,
there's really no choice being given to the voters.

In this particular election we had 18 candidates and 13 seats.  If the
three who made their candidacy contingent step down, then this election
really only decided the outcome for two seats rather than making a
difference for five seats and five platforms (over a third of FESCo as
opposed to less than a sixth.)

Additionally, each of the three candidates who made their candidacy
contingent fell within the top half of vote getters.  This tells me that
there is pretty strong support to having these people sit on FESCo and
make decisions.

If all three of the candidates who conditionalized their candidacy step
down, then I think we're doing the people who made an effort to vote a
disservice as they made a conscious choice to elect them to this
position.

On the other hand, the candidates themselves know how much time they
have and what contributions they're making to Fedora outside of FESCo so
if they feel they cannot do the job at present they are best qualified
to make that decision.  I would encourage them to think hard on the
decision first, though, and not feel that they must step down because
they initially made their candidacy contingent on the number of
candidates to step forward.

-Toshio

P.S. If any of the candidates do feel honor bound to let someone further
down the chain in but feel they have the time to continue doing the job
I fell below the top 50% of the vote and would be happy to give my spot
to *any* one of them.