"contingent" (was Re: FESCo Election Results)

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Wed Jul 5 18:27:53 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 19:50 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Matthew Miller schrieb:
> On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 01:12:29PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> >>  I was 'elected' in some sense or another however as I promised I am
> >> willing to step down if someone else among those nominated but not
> >> elected wish to take my place. As Christian received the most votes
> >> below the line I'm offering to step down and for him to take my place.
> >> Everyone cool w/that?
> > Yes. That's exactly what I presumed the "contingent" comment on the
> > nominations page meant.
>
> Just my 2 cent: Yes, that's what the "contingent" comment means in
> general.

Not being a native English speaker nor familiar with that word before
the initial discussions about the election, my understanding of it is
based on http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/contingent which seems to me to
leave more things open than the interpretation above...

>  But from my point of view those three are still free to join
> FESCo -- e.g. if one of them says "Hey, I got so many votes, it seems
> people really want me to do the job" then I think they should do the job
> if they want to.

...and after some consideration, that would be me.  Because it looks
like I can find enough time to make myself useful, dropping out now
would not seem fair towards the voters, so I'll stick around for this
round.  Thanks and sorry ;)