FE Package Status of Jul 5, 2006

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Jul 6 12:57:30 UTC 2006

Michael Schwendt schrieb:
> On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 13:00:30 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
>> Christian.Iseli at licr.xxx schrieb:
>>> Go into the CVS devel directory, "cvs remove" all the files, create a
>>> dead.package file and "cvs add" it ...
>>> That's the standard procedure for retired packages...
>> Yeah, but that "standard procedure" is not documented probably in the
>> wiki. Could somebody please do that? tia!
> Could you please discuss this at FESCO-level, find out whether the CVS
> branch script recognises the "dead.package" file. Then it could become
> the official procedure. Else all dead packages would be branched for FC-6.

Well, is was discussed in FESCo months ago. From

http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/SteeringCommittee/Meeting-20060323

19:41 <         thl> | something else regarding cvs:
19:42 <         thl> | we created FC5 branches in CVS for a lot of old
packages that are orpahend or obsoleted
19:42 <         thl> | should they be deleted?
19:42 <         thl> | and the devel branch too?
19:43 <         thl> | jeremy, can the devel branch readded easily?
19:44 <     jeremy> | thl: probably.  and rather than delete the devel
branch, possibly just a DEAD_PACKAGE marker
19:44 <      jeremy> | the problem with deleting it is that we lose
history if it needs to come back
19:44 <         thl> | jeremy, k, sounds sane
19:44 <         thl> | jeremy, how could a DEAD_PACKAGE marker look like?
19:45 <         thl> | jeremy, just a file "dead.package"?
19:45 <         thl> | with a short explanation why it's dead in it?
19:45 <      jeremy> | works for me :-)
19:45 <         thl> | jeremy, the branch script would need to take care
that no new branched are created later
19:45 <         thl> | but that's probably easy
19:46 <      jeremy> | well, allowing an older branch to be made is
fine.  but not creating it when doing mass-branching is good
19:46 <         thl> | jeremy, exactly
19:46 <         thl> | k, that was all from my side
19:46 <      jeremy> | and the mass-branching is just a giant "for i in
..." script
19:46 <      jeremy> | if you get me a list of FC-5 branches which need
to be killed, I can do that
19:47            <-- | dgregor has quit (Read error: 110 (Connection
timed out))
19:47 <         thl> | jeremy, k, will try to find someone for that task ;-)

For me that discussion is enough (especially as the dead.package marker
is used already) even if there was no "formal" decision /"voting" on it.

Michael, or is there anything else that you'd like to see discussed?
Then I'll put it on the schedule.

CU
thl