Rolling Extras (was: Re: Recapitulate the current state of Fedora Extras and some ideas to make it better)

Aurelien Bompard gauret at free.fr
Sun Jul 9 15:33:18 UTC 2006

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>  * can we stick to the "rolling release" scheme when anaconda will
> start supporting external repos during install (the rolling release
> scheme might break installs (not sure, but I think that is possible))?
> And/or do we need Releases of Fedora Extras? E.g. ISOs of FE6 and a
> stable repo on the servers and all new version go to a "updates"
> directory (similar to core)?

What I'd love to aim at is a structure similar to what FreeBSD has. A core
system with release engineering, and the "ports collection", Extras here,
which has a rolling scheme, but is rebuilt on each Core release.

FreeBSD's base system is much more lightweight than the current Fedora Core
(no X, no web servers, no databases, etc...), so we are very far from the
same distinction, and we may not even want to push it this far, but
separating the base system from the rest of the applications has *lots* of
advantages from the administrator's and the user's point of view.
No need to upgrade your OS to get the latest version of your favorite app,
or of the services you're running on the box.

So I would vote for a "rolling release" scheme in Extras, with a rebuild on
each Core release to make sure Anaconda has something to feed on. This
particular release could be kept on the mirrors (as we already keep the two
last builds), just to be on the safe side with dependencies.

Aurélien
http://aurelien.bompard.org  ~~~~  Jabber : abompard at jabber.fr
The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple. After that it's all learned.