Recapitulate the current state of Fedora Extras and some ideas to make it better

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sun Jul 9 18:05:33 UTC 2006

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le dimanche 09 juillet 2006 à 15:42 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis a écrit :
>
>>   * The wiki was a great place for informations in the beginning of
>> Fedora Extras and still offers a lot of informations, but a lot of
>> things are not probably documented. I might be time for a big cleanup.
>
> FE has probably grown enough now to require a full-time dedicated
> documentation team. Everyone hates doing doc and it doesn't help that
> some pages are locked.
>
> Good doc means less review work and disagreements of what the damn
> guidelines actually say (and on which wiki page the clear rule is
> hidden).
>
> (but at least we suck less than core)

<sigh>

Today I had a refrehsing drink in the sun with a friend of mine and we
had a discussion about Fedora and about how despite Fedora being GREAT
Ubuntu seems to be way more popular.

One of the things he mentioned was the negative tone on the Fedora
mailinglist, I disagreed. But reading this: he is right. We should drop
the negative tone.

Neither Core nor Extras do _NOT_ sucks at all. Yes certain things are
better in Extras then Core, but we have it easier, they have all the
_really_ _hard_ packages. And yes even we are not perfect, but both core
and extras are pretty good if not excellent in the case of Extras.

So not perfect, but most certainly not sucking at all!

Talking about this negative attitude, we need to improve our self image
as a community and we need to work on our image to the rest of the worl
too, time for a Fedora Marketing team?

Regards,

Hans