QA ideas (was Recapitulate the current state of Fedora Extras and some ideas to make it better)

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sun Jul 9 18:15:03 UTC 2006

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Hi all!
>
>   * set up scripts that check existing Spec-Files and packages
> automatically for bogus things and new rules/behaviors or common
> problems (empty debuginfo, hardcoded rpath, ...)

I was thinking about how right you are on this and then I had a very
good idea, someone (with more experience with this then me and buildsys
/ cvs server access) should write a script which periodically
1) runs rpmlint on all RPMs
2) compares the output of this script with the following file in CVS:
   <packagename>/<branch>/rpmlint.ignore
   and removes all lines from the output which match with lines in this
   file.
3) mailes the maintainer of the checked package if there is any ouput
   left after removing the ignored lines

I'm really enthousiastic about this idea, it would be great for QA and
should be easy to implement! My only worry is the possible resource
drain on the system doing the checking.

Taking this one step further, in order to maximally benefit from this
rpmlint should be extended to check as much of the packaging and review
guidelines automaticly as possible, once rpmlint does this, then the
review guidelines should be modified so that a part of the to check list
gets moved to a seperate page which documents things checked by rpmlint,
and the actual list of things that need checking manually for review can
be reduced making reviews easier.

Also I think that asap the package submission prococedure should be
modified to make it mandatory for submitters to run rpmlint themselves
and include the output in the initial review submission including
motivations for the ignoring of each warning / error given by rpmlint

Regards,

Hans

p.s.

As said I'm going on vacation tomorrow so don't expect any quick replies
to replies on this :)