Recapitulate the current state of Fedora Extras and some ideas to make it better

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Mon Jul 10 06:47:10 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-07-09 at 20:05 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Today I had a refrehsing drink in the sun with a friend of mine and we
> had a discussion about Fedora and about how despite Fedora being GREAT
> Ubuntu seems to be way more popular.

There's a segment of the market that blindly follows whatever the latest
trendy distribution is. Like sheep. Intermediate users who's sole hobby
seems to be re-installing Linux. Over the years they've gone from Debian
to Mandrake to Gentoo to Ubuntu...

I don't remember if they ever jumped on Red Hat. It's been cool to hate
Red Hat for a while now. (See: The gcc 2.96 non-debacle, etc)

I suspect they're more of a noisy minority, people with nothing better
to do than rave about how great the trendy distribution of the year is
and flood support lists with questions about it, rather than an actual
majority.

And if you're friends with one of these, you get flooded with the
questions, which I can only answer with "I don't know what your crazy
ass distribution is doing" until I finally decide to install it on a
spare machine, discover it blows chunks, and then the answer is "X blows
chunks, install Fedora if you want me to help you", which is advice they
gleefully ignore...

Oh well, Gentoo/Ubuntu can have them.

(Death to Mandrake*)

(*) Seems mostly dead** now.