Recapitulate the current state of Fedora Extras and some ideas to make it better

Christian.Iseli at licr.org Christian.Iseli at licr.org
Mon Jul 10 16:27:07 UTC 2006

fedora at leemhuis.info said:
>   * can we stick to the "rolling release" scheme when anaconda will start
> supporting external repos during install (the rolling release scheme might
> break installs (not sure, but I think that is possible))? And/or do we need
> Releases of Fedora Extras? E.g. ISOs of FE6 and a stable repo on the servers
> and all new version go to a "updates" directory (similar to core)?

I think having distributable ISOs including Extras is a desireable goal.
So I'd like to see Extras devel rebuilt or frozen alongside FC releases.
The "rebuild by default except when specifically asked not to" policy seems
the best suited in this case.

I'd like rpmlint run each time a package is built and the output diffed to a
reference rpmlint output for that package.  Differences would fail the build.

I'd like a similar test procedure to the Provides of the package (i.e., diff
all the things currently provided by the package vs. the things it provided in
the previous published version, and build fails if there are differences).

I'd like a similar test procedure for all the warnings (especially compiler
warnings) produced during package building.

Cheers,
					Christian