Advice on desktop icons

Michael Thomas wart at kobold.org
Mon Jul 10 18:56:35 UTC 2006

Duncan Ferguson wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 11:36 -0700, Michael Thomas wrote:
>
>>Duncan Ferguson wrote:
>>
>>>What is the best way to include icons within an rpm, and what sizes of
>>>icons should be used (i have seen mention of 16x16, 24x24 and 48x48, but
>>>how should they be named/installed within the rpm)?
>>
>>I usually use 32x32 or 48x48 icons, but it's really your choice.
>

> So I only really need one icon of a relevant size for the rpm (which I
> can choose arbitrarily), not a selection.  That makes life easier, but I
> am surprised there isn't a more standardised approach across all rpm's
> for a number of icons of required sizes.

If you don't provide icons for the various sizes, then the desktop
environment will resize them for you as-needed.  If you notice that the
automatic resizing doesn't look very good at certain sizes (say, a 48x48
reduced to 16x16), then you can provide an explicitly sized icon for the
smaller (or larger) size.  Whether you need multiple icons or not really
depends on the icon and how good it looks when the desktop environment
resizes it.

--Mike