What do Extras contributors use the wiki for?

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Tue Jul 11 06:51:38 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 01:29, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> Patrick W. Barnes schrieb:
> > On Monday 10 July 2006 11:12, Michael Schwendt <bugs.michael at gmx.net>
wrote:
> >> On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 15:03:12 -0500, Patrick W. Barnes wrote:
> >> Why should the FCx Status pages, the User Registry, the Orphaned
> >> Packages List be opened up to non-Contributors?
> >
> > The objective is to remove the EditGroup requirement, allowing Extras
> > contributors to work without having to obtain EditGroup membership.
>
> Just a note: I don't like that goal to much. I'd prefer if all Extras
> contributors get automatically access to the wiki (and used to edit it)
> so they are able to improve the Documentation around Extras if they want
> to (without having to take other hurdles first).

In this case, at least three things need to happen:

1.  Instructions for obtaining wiki-editing privileges should be added to the
documentation for new contributors.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Contributors

The exact method specified might need a little thought.  Options might include
visiting #fedora-extras, sending a message to fedora-extras-list, contacting
a specific team or individual, or even using an ACL-reduced queue on the
wiki.  In any case, whomever is responsible for handling the requests will
need to be versed in the rules and verification procedure.

2.  All existing Extras contributors who do not have EditGroup membership need
to get it.  From my experience with other groups, this may take time and
effort, with individual emails being sent to contributors to inform them of
the requirement.  Someone will need to compare a list of Extras contributors
(cvsextras?) to the EditGroup and figure out who is missing, then find
contact information and get in touch with them.

3.  CVSSyncNeeded and any other Extras pages that currently have loosened ACLs
will need those ACLs tightened.  I can handle this, but task #2 should be
taken care of first.

If the Infrastructure team accomplishes all of its goals (which will take
time), then this entire issue will become obsolete, as wiki edit access would
be integrated with the Account System, and anyone who has completed the CLA
would automatically gain editing permissions.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

http://www.n-man.com/