File conflicts in Fedora Extras Development

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Tue Jul 11 19:23:09 UTC 2006

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:46:16 -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> > gnumeric-1.6.3-2.fc6.i386.rpm
> >   File conflict with: /usr/share/gnumeric/1.6.3/idl/GNOME_Gnumeric.idl
> >   => Package conflicts with: gnumeric-devel - 1:1.6.3-2.fc6.i386
> >
> > gnumeric-devel-1.6.3-2.fc6.i386.rpm
> >   File conflict with: /usr/share/gnumeric/1.6.3/idl/GNOME_Gnumeric.idl
> >   => All file names in this package are found in the repository elsewhere!
> >   => Package conflicts with: gnumeric - 1:1.6.3-2.fc6.i386
>
> How can it conflict with it's own *subpackage*? (See also, heartbeat.)

Sloppy packaging, creating a -devel sub-package for a file which is
already included in the main package.

Call it "soft conflict" if you like to.

And wrt heartbeat/pils/stonith there are other forms of weird packaging
going on in there, looks like an attempt at creating multiple alternative
package sets without moving shared files into a "common" package.

Food for the Packaging Group whether we want things like that in FE.