rpmlint problem: Class-Path in manifest problem

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Jul 12 20:14:15 UTC 2006

Le mercredi 12 juillet 2006 à 14:43 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III a
écrit :

> IF> Does anybody know what this mean,
>
> > rpmlint -I class-path-in-manifest
> class-path-in-manifest :
> The META-INF/MANIFEST file in the jar contains a hardcoded Class-Path.
> These entries do not work with older Java versions and even if they do work,
> they are inflexible and usually cause nasty surprises.
>
> IF> and why it's considered bad?
>
> I don't know enough about Java to say more.

Because the file will behave differently depending where it or its deps
are in the filesystem, which leads to very unfunny debugging sessions to
find out why an app suddenly broke.
At lease when the classpath is in a script and not burried inside
metadata you can understands what happens (plus scripts are a boatload
more flexible than hardcoded absolute paths)

--
Nicolas Mailhot