Wiki not editable?

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sun Jul 16 00:25:49 UTC 2006

On Saturday 15 July 2006 15:37, Enrico Scholz
<enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:

> >> This whole sh^Wissue started because the Fedora Wiki admins think
> >> different... ;)
> >
> > not true. This fedora wiki admins was asked
>
> sorry; please s!admins!commanders!
>
> > to make the packaging tree of the wiki restricted so spot could work
> > on it.
>
> When I interpret statements in this thread correctly, this "so ... could
> work on it" became a "forever" :(

We aren't trying to violate your rights, but we do need to maintain
organization on the wiki, and that's what prompted the movement of your page.
Your insistence upon keeping it in a non-conformant location is what made
this a real problem.  We told you in the beginning why the Packaging/
hierarchy had restricted ACLs and what your options were to work around it.
We told you why the page was placed in the PackagingDrafts/ hierarchy.  We
aren't trying to violate your will with regard to the purposes of the
document, but we must have your cooperation in maintaining organization.  If
you take the time to look at the organization of other, similar pages, our
reasons and practices might become more clear.  It also wouldn't hurt for you
to communicate with the Packaging Committee.

You also need to clearly understand the CLA and its purpose.  Rather than
attempt to summarize anything, I'll recommend that you look over the Legal
section of the wiki carefully.  You should know that signing the CLA and
submitting it to the wiki licenses it under the terms of the OPL without
options.  It also grants an irrevocable copyright license to the Fedora
Project.  While you are free to offer it under other licenses, you also
cannot restrict the usage of the document in any way beyond the OPL.  Among
other things, this means that you cannot prevent it from being moved or
organized in a different manner, whether you agree with it or not.  If you
want to apply such restrictions, you shouldn't submit your documents to the
Fedora Project.  It isn't in the spirit of FOSS to restrict your documents in
that manner, and we won't support it.

The responsible thing to do when there's something you disagree with is to
bring the issue up to the appropriate group or committee.  In this case, you
could be talking to FESCo, the Packaging Committee and the Websites team.

Even though this page represents an optional method of package management, it
applies globally to the Fedora Project when the packager chooses to use it.
The UserRegistry page also has global applications, but it can't be moved
without ACL adjustment, as packagers must have write access to it.  The end
goal is to get all pages related to packaging policy and practices under the
Packaging/ hierarchy.  The ACLs will be loosened over the full hierarchy and
tightened only on specific pages as needed after the content in that
hierarchy matures.  At that point, it will be perfectly safe to keep the
UserRegistry and UserCreation pages within that hierarchy.  The only reason
we had been keeping UserCreation in the Drafts hierarchy is to allow you (and
other editors) to continue working on it until that point.  That's why the
redirects have also been maintained.

Knowing this, do you have any other compelling reasons to keep the
UserCreation and UserRegistry pages out of the Packaging/ hierarchy?  If it
will make you feel better, we can temporarily override the ACLs to move your
pages to the permanent locations under Packaging/ and maintain the current
permissions.  Personally, I'd rather leave the UserRegistry page where it is
and put the UserCreation page back in Drafts until the ACLs over the rest of
Packaging/ can be adjusted, but I'm willing to meet you half-way on this and
assume that the Packaging Committee won't object to that.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

http://www.n-man.com/