questions about comps files

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Jul 31 14:24:44 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-29 at 11:41 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> Since it seems that that discussion should happen here, let's do it.
> I have the following questions about the comps files:
>
> * the 'Authoring and Publishing' seems to be only for docbook from the
>   description. So where things like latex based packages, script converter
>   for other formats and so on (in my case, there is BibTool, tetex-tex4ht
>   and ooo2txt). And should script converters be in comps at all?

LaTeX things have traditionally been in the Authoring and Publishing
group as well.  If there's a desire to get the description changed,
propose something and I'm more than willing to make it more generic :)

By script converters do you mean things like ooo2txt?  I think if
they're for common formats, having them in Authoring and Publishing
could be okay... I'm not sure I'd put a Word Perfect 5.1 converter in
there :-)

> * where should wxWidgets based applications go (I maintain xchm).

Look more at what the application does as opposed to what widget set it
uses.

> * should what is an end-user be dependent on the category? For example I
>   think that 'Engineering and Scientific' end users care about numerical
>   libraries, so it makes sense to have some libraries often used in
>   models or the like in that category. There is allready blas and lapack,
>   for example.

Yeah, that isn't unreasonable

> * does it makes sense to have some packages in more than one group? For
>   example I put grads is in 'Graphics', I think it also could be in
>   'Engineering and Scientific'.

The problem with doing so is that it can lead to a confusing UI in some
cases.  We've tried (hard) to get to where packages are only listed for
one component.  I'd like to try to stay there.

> * where should things like esmtp (a relay-only Mail Transfer Agent) go?
>   There doesn't seems to be a category for that program, although it may
>   be interesting for some (advanced) end-users?

There's the mail-server group :)

Jeremy