rpmlint warnings/errors

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Tue Jun 6 17:46:31 UTC 2006

DHJ> Is it sufficient to provide some explanation of the warning when
DHJ> a package is submitted?

It would help the reviewer if you did so.

DHJ> I have not found a list of acceptable/unacceptable rpmlint
DHJ> issues.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/CommonRpmlintIssues (just
getting started).  You're free to add things there.  Make sure you run
"rpmlint -i" if you just need additional information about what
rpmlint is complaining about.

DHJ> W: opencryptoki devel-file-in-non-devel-package
DHJ> /usr/lib/libopencryptoki.so

Do you have a versioned .so file there as well
(i.e. libopencryptoki.so.1.2)?  If so, this is a blocker.

DHJ> E: opencryptoki non-standard-gid
DHJ> /var/lib/opencryptoki pkcs11

Not a blocker, assuming you properly create that user.

DHJ> W: opencryptoki
DHJ> service-default-enabled /etc/rc.d/init.d/pkcsslotd

This is a blocker.  Packages should not install services which are
turned on by default; otherwise, someone who installs a bunch of
packages ends up with a bunch of enabled services.  (Imagine the
theoretical "Everything" install.)

DHJ> W: opencryptoki incoherent-init-script-name pkcsslotd

It helps if the init file is named in such a way that it is associated
with the package, but this is not always reasonable.

 - J<