rrdtool query

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Sun Jun 18 15:18:00 UTC 2006

On 06/18/2006 01:11 PM, Roy-Magne Mo wrote:
> Lars E. Pettersson wrote:
>> I have a question. Why do these subpackages have the following names:
>>
>> perl-rrdtool
>> php-rrdtool
>> python-rrdtool
>
> It's all explained in the packaging guidelines:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines

But is not the parent in this case rrdtool, and therefore rrdtool-* the
correct name? The perl-rrdtool package, as one example, adds a new
functionality to the rrdtool package, and can not be used on its own,
you need rrdtool (and perl also, I have to admit.) As the package also
is very tightly coupled to the rrdtool package (comes from the same tar
file, except php that uses a patch), rrdtool-perl seems much more
logical than the reverse, IMHO.

I can see a chicken or egg problem here, though...

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/